Capital City, here you come! All of Korea’s bicycle paths lead to Seoul.
North or South?
Which river bank should you cycle? North or South?
During the Joseon Dynasty (1392 ~ 1897), Seoul sat on only the north side of the Han River. But after the Korean War, development expanded the city to the marshy swathe below the river, creating gleaming new districts that rival the north.
- The North Side cycling route rolls past Seoul’s old world. It gives access to the Jongno and Jung Districts, which formed the old Joseon Dynasty’s capital.
- The South Side bike path tours the gleaming new districts below the Han, including the glitzy Gangnam District and powerhouse Yeouido Island.
Don’t fear! If you have buyer’s remorse, twenty-two bridges along the river provide quick crossing points.
Hangang Parks Guides
The South Side’s bike path travels through a series of Han River (Hangang) Parks and one satellite city.
To make this guide more digestible, I divided the South Side course into eight pages. Each profiles a single Hangang Park or satellite city.
- Gangseo Hangang Park
- Yanghwa Hangang Park
- Yeouido Hangang Park
- Banpo Hangang Park
- Jamwon Hangang Park
- Jamsil Hangang Park
- Gwangnaru Hangang Park
- Hanam City
The guides run west to east along the Han River.
Seoul’s South Side course has two advantages over the North Side.
South Side (2):
- Yeouido Certification Center (여의도인증센터; map)
- Gwangnaru Bicycle Park Certification Center (광나루자전거공원; map)
North Side (1):
Are you cycling along the North Side and want to complete the Hangang and Cross-Country certifications? You need to cross the Han and visit the Yeouido Certification Center. It doesn’t have a twin stamp on the opposite side of the river.
- North Side:
- South Side:
- Gangseo Hangang Park (강서한강공원; map) — 0 km from start (directions)
- Yanghwa Hangang Park (양화한강공원; map) — 6.9 km from start (directions)
- Yeouido Hangang Park (여의도한강공원; map) — 12.8 km from start (directions)
- Banpo Hangang Park (반포한강공원; map) — 17.3 km from start (directions)
- Jamwon Hangang Park (잠원한강공원; map) — 22.3 km from start (directions)
- Jamsil Hangang Park (잠실한강공원; map) — 28.7 km from start (directions)
- Gwangnaru Hangang Park (광나루한강공원; map) — 33.5 km from start (directions)